- HS135 is an ActR-based trap targeting activin A and GDF-8 with best-in-class in vivo target engagement
- HS135 demonstrates superior efficacy in a model of Pulmonary Hypertension as well as positive impact on body composition and metabolism
Montreal, QC, Canada (Nov. 7, 2022) – 35Pharma, a biopharmaceutical company that designs and develops innovative biologics for cardiopulmonary diseases, today presented new preclinical results from its HS135 program at the 2022 American Heart Association Scientific Sessions (“AHA 2022”) in Chicago, IL, USA (Nov. 5 – 7, 2022).
TGF-beta superfamily growth factors activin A and GDF-8 are validated targets driving the pathophysiology of cardiopulmonary diseases. While previous ligand traps directed against these growth factors have shown great therapeutic promise in clinical trials, full pathway inhibition remains a challenge.
HS135 is an engineered activin receptor IIB ectodomain (ActRIIB) -based Fc-fusion protein. HS135 is rationally designed to achieve full pathway inhibition and optimal rebalancing of pathological and homeostatic TGF-beta superfamily ligands.
The data reported at AHA today demonstrate that HS135’s best-in-class target engagement translates into superior in vivo efficacy in Pulmonary Hypertension (PH), and, uniquely amongst tested ActR benchmarks, improved metabolism.
Highlights of the data presented include:
- HS135, but not ActRIIA-Fc, is capable of achieving full in vivo target engagement as measured by inhibition of FSH in mice, a marker of Activin and GDF pathway blockade
- HS135, but not ActRIIA-Fc, positively impacts body composition and muscle metabolism
- In a rat monocrotaline (MCT) model of PH, HS135 demonstrated superior efficacy compared to ActRIIA-Fc including the following read-outs:
- HS135 exhibited more profound reverse remodelling of pulmonary vasculature
- HS135 restored several parameters of right ventricle (RV) function to baseline
- HS135 returned RV gene expression profile to a near normal state
Maureen O’Connor, CSO of 35Pharma commented: “The data presented today indicate that HS135’s best-in-class target engagement translates into significantly increased and differentiated efficacy. I am particularly encouraged by HS135’s pronounced effect on protecting the right ventricle and improving metabolic dysfunction, both of which are established risk factors in cardiopulmonary disease.”
About 35Pharma and HS135
35Pharma is a biopharmaceutical company that designs and develops best-in-class transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) superfamily ligand traps for cardio-pulmonary and -metabolic diseases. HS135 is a multi-specific receptor ectodomain ligand trap designed to achieve maximum neutralization of Activins & GDFs, clinically validated drivers of cardio-pulmonary and -metabolic disease. HS135 is undergoing IND enabling development.
Julia Schoelermann, VP Business Development, 35Pharma
For more information, please visit www.35pharma.com