- HS235 is a first-in-class Activin and GDF ligand trap that leads to fat-selective weight loss in vivo
- HS235 in combination with incretins further deepens fat loss while maintaining lean mass
Montreal, QC, Canada (Oct. 16, 2023) – 35Pharma, a biopharmaceutical company that designs and develops TGF-beta superfamily therapeutics to treat cardiopulmonary and cardiometabolic diseases, today presented results from its HS235 program at Obesity Week in Dallas, TX, USA (Oct. 14 – 17, 2023).
HS235 is a potent and multi-specific trap targeting Activin and GDF ligands, including myostatin, which are validated drivers of cardiometabolic disease. Simultaneous neutralization of these ligands by HS235 prevents Activins and GDFs functionally compensating for each other. In addition, HS235’s ligand trapping mechanism preserves beneficial Activin receptor mediated homeostatic signaling.
The data reported at Obesity Week today demonstrates that HS235 exhibits best-in-class potency against cardiometabolic Activin and GDF ligands while sparing beneficial BMP ligands. In mice, HS235 treatment leads to fat-selective weight loss which is particularly pronounced in combination with incretins.
Highlights of the data presented include:
- HS235 with caloric restriction led to weight loss exclusively due to loss of fat in a diet induced obesity (DiO) mouse model
- HS235 + tirzepatide demonstrated additive fat loss in a DiO model:
- Mice treated with tirzepatide alone lost 46% of their fat mass
- HS235 + tirzepatide led to 64% reduction in fat mass
- HS235 completely rescued lean mass lost by tirzepatide
- All weight loss of the HS235 + tirzepatide combination was exclusively due to loss of fat
Maureen O’Connor, CSO of 35Pharma commented: “The data presented today establishes that HS235 has a unique mechanism of action that results in weight loss exclusively due to loss of fat. Importantly, HS235’s mechanism is orthogonal to incretins and offsets the undesirable lean mass loss experienced with this class of drugs.”
35Pharma is a biopharmaceutical company focussed on the design and development of best-in-class transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) superfamily ligand traps for cardiopulmonary and cardiometabolic diseases. 35Pharma leverages its scientific leadership in TGF-beta biology combined with superior protein engineering to discover innovative compounds that selectively and potently neutralize validated pathological TGF-beta ligands while sparing beneficial homeostatic ligands.
Within cardiopulmonary disease, the company is focussed on developing HS135, a highly potent and selective Activin and GDF trap in Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). Imbalanced Activin and BMP signalling is genetically and clinically validated to drive PH.
Within cardiometabolic disease, 35Pharma is developing HS235, which is a multi-specific trap designed to achieve maximum neutralization of Activins & GDFs, including myostatin, while sparing muscle-anabolic TGF-beta ligands. Concomitant blockade of muscle catabolic Activins and GDFs is genetically and clinically validated to improve body composition and glucose homeostasis.
Julia Schoelermann, VP Corporate Development, 35Pharma
For more information, please visit www.35pharma.com